Pages

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Prodigies Both

Gregory has been surprising me lately with phrases coming out of his mouth that are distinctly more grown up than he is.  Every once in a while he will turn to me, put his hand on my face tenderly (assuming that my face is within reach), and refer to me as "my darling."  If I try to reciprocate, however, he says, "I'm not your darling!!! I'm just Gregory!"

He's started Preschool.  !?!  Yeah.  Exactly.  Not really sure how he managed to live to the ripe old age of three, but there you have it.  Ever since preschool started, I've noticed an increase in social skills.  He told me yesterday, "I want to put a blanket on top [of that tower you are building around me].   Let me know when you are finished Mommy."  Okay sweetheart.  I'll just let you know.  I was delighted to hear the word "October" issuing from the living room while I was making dinner.  I know he didn't learn that one from me--I just try to keep the kid alive.   Preschool is a beautiful thing.  And when I pick him up and he says, "I sure missed you while I was at preschool Mommy.  Did you miss me?"  That's even beautiful-er.

The drama side of Gregory is winning out over his shy side a little more now.  He'll actually finish singing a song out loud sometimes.  Instead of starting out to sing loud and strong (think Adriane-ish behavior), and then slowing and quieting to a stop as his reserved self (think Mike-ish) realized what was going on.  The poor thing has polar opposites vying for control inside!  But lately (preschool may be helping this one out too) he's been actually having lots of fun singing.  He LOVES the Phineas and Ferb songs (of course), and a slew of primary action songs like "The Eensy Weensy Spider" and "The Wise Man Built His House Upon a Rock."  I have a 75% chance of not getting SHUT DOWN when I start singing too.  This is up from a 10% chance, so I'm liking life a lot more lately.

Isaac...well, he's learning to be a handful.  He's a climber, for one thing.  Gregory always liked to play things safe--maybe we should have named Isaac after my Dad too (I love you Daddy ;).  I had to pull my youngest off of the toilet tank the other day.  I know, what neglectful parenting.  Let me just say that he's fast.  All it takes is the blink of an eye and a second of turned back.

Isaac loves SHOES!  Shoes mean freedom.  But since he's figured out how to open the front door, he's not picky about being shod before leaving the house.  I realized he was gone the other day while I was finishing my toilette (read: I was not fully clothed and Gregory had let Isaac escape from the basement where I keep them caged).  There was too much sun coming through my door for it to be closed.  By the time I finished getting my clothes on and got outside, he was all the way to the mailbox.  Which is a really long way when you remember that it usually takes him a good three minutes to work his way down the two cement steps of our porch.  When I'm watching him, that is.  After having a heart attack (almost), I resolved to keep the deadbolt locked at ALL TIMES.

So, you know, I'm just trying to keep up here.  Now that we aren't as sick (we spent basically the entire month of September sick.  When I wasn't in bed in utter misery, I was cleaning up the result of my children's misery.  NOT FUN) I might have a better chance of staying ahead of the game.  RIGHT.  Okay, being realistic, two steps behind isn't all that bad, right?  :D

Comments:

Free Blog Template by June Lily