Tee hee hee. You just have to laugh! Or maybe it's just me cuz I'm his Mom and I was there. :P
So, this child has figured out one of the principles of persuasion (not the book, just the general concept): ETHOS. Yes, he appeals to the great character of someone other than himself in order to get something he wants. For instance, "Mommy, Kelsi says she wants me to drink that apple juice," or "Josh thinks that I need that cookie, Daddy." Mind you, we were together with Kelsi or Josh for the same amount of time Gregory was, and I never HEARD them make those suggestions. Perhaps he's not only good at persuasion--he can READ MINDS!!!
Using his new persuasive powers took a new turn when we were by ourselves getting dressed for the day however. There was no person around to quote, so naturally, he chose the next best thing. "Mommy," (gesturing towards the article of clothing I was currently helping him with) "they want me to go eat breakfast now." "Oh, your pants want you to go eat breakfast?" "Yeah."
Family Dinner tonight. My job was to bring cookies. My plan was to find some sort of choclatey-coconuty-oatmealy-goodness recipe. Mmmm. But, since it's a million degrees (seriously) round about these parts, I wasn't fancying the oven usage. "Wait a second," I think, "MUD COOKIES! I don't have to bake them AND they have coconut, chocolate, and oats PLUS peanut butter!!!" I begin making these, and consider calling Lauren for her secrets--she's the MASTER MUD COOKIE MAKER. It's true. But I got distracted while melting the butter because I was nearly out of peanut butter!! No WAY I was going to have a full cup (it's okay Lo, I was doing a double batch). So I do what I always do when I run out of something and need it quick. Head to Mom's. I grabbed the Gregory and left a sleeping Daddy and Isaac to their slumbers. We headed out the door into the hot sun. Got the peanut butter. Caused a bit of mystery and wonder--who WAS the mysterious person that came in while everyone was asleep and got a new jar of peanut butter out of the storage room but didn't but it away because she didn't know where it went?
*Geez, why am I TELLING you all this? The Gregory-ism is still to come. I guess I just wanted to set the scene. Or I'm getting pretty tired and I need to go to bed before I ramble right off the page...*
Walking home, I noticed that poor Gregory's lack of hips was causing pants slippage. He finally resorted to holding them up with one hand as he walked. "Oh, honey, do your pants keep falling down?" "Yeah, but I saved it," he reassured me. "You saved the day?" He's been saying this every once in a while and it's so funny: "Gregory saves the day!!!" But no, that's NOT what he saved today: "No, I just saved my pants."
We brought up patty cake again the other day--Isaac thinks it's a scream, but Gregory loves it even more. His version goes like this: "roll it, and pat it, and mark it with a 'G.' Then throw it in MOMMY!!! I GOT CAKE ON YOU!!! HaHaHaHaHa." At which point I am supposed to be outwardly dismayed that I have cake all over me, and inwardly excited--as noted by the fact that I start EATING said cake. I only just figured out that this whole "I got cake on you" game actually stemmed from us doing patty cake--he started out by just doing the "throwing" action from patty cake and it didn't connect. Finally I saw him doing it all together. :P
The things kids think of. Like how I thought the song "Swing Lo, Sweet Chariot" was "Swing Low, Sweet Cheerio" (don't you think it rhymes better?) and imagined a giant, rideable (how else was it going to carry me home?) Cheerio swinging down from the sky...
Weyull, I KNOW I owe you a majillion pictures--I finally got my camera back! But you know, I can't do too much in one day! Spread the blogging joy...or procrastinate. You know me!!!

4 Comments:
Oh, I love it! "No... Just my pants." So fabulous. I now dub you the Peanut Butter Phantom! OoooooOOOOoooo... You know it!
And I will share all my mud cookie secrets any time you want them. :) Uh oh. Now I (that should be bold and giant) want some! But I have no oats, coconut, sugar, or vanilla. They don't have them here in Florida... ;)
Kids crack me up! Gregory's persuasion techniques totally reminded me of once when Emma exclaimed in a pet store, "Mommy! This kitty NEEDS me!"
They bought it, of course.
Ask Gregory if Dan thinks I need some new clothes. =)
LoL! I SO love these stories! "No I just saved my pants..." hehe. And his persuasive instincts... wow! He's such a genius!
Post a Comment