Pages

Saturday, November 04, 2006

Oh Tripe!

We are visiting on of Michael's baptisms. Well, HE is visiting Mike's family, and so are we. Yeah--he's the one you all remember from my wedding reception: long hair and camera happy. Last night he treated us to Vietnamese soup at a restaurant--it reminds him of home. Mike's dad was insistent that I try the tripe in my soup. I wasn't adverse, and started fishing around with my chopsticks while I asked, "isn't tripe a kind of fish?" "No. But try it first before I tell you what it is." "Um...you not telling me makes me way more nervous than knowing what it is would," said I. "You want to know that it's cow brains?" Oh, I thought, that's not so bad, and stuffed some into my mouth. I think you would have been proud of my chopstick skills. And the tripe was pretty good too!

9 Comments:

Adriane said...

I have recently discovered through Wikipedia that tripe is generally made from the cows first three stomachs. Huh...I was brave under false pretenses.

Kimberly said...

LOL. I was going to tell you what tripe really was, but it looks like you already found out. Although it's made out of intestines in Africa, which I believe is more common.

I tried a lot of wierd things on my mission, but that's something I never wanted to try. Ew.

Jon said...

Adriane! I'm so proud of you! Way to go!

Annegirl said...

Ew ew ew! A. I would never have eaten brains! B. Stomach lining isn't too appealing either! Give me my chicken feet, anyday.

Conclusions: You are braver than I; I am proud. What the heck is wrong with our species?

Annegirl said...

Uh, that last sentence meant "I can't believe we cook and eat such weird stuff!" not, "I can't believe Adriane is braver than me." That's all.

meagan said...

Sick. Nice work with the chopsticks though (:

meagan said...

p.s. I like your new falling leaves!

Adriane said...

Thank you. I thought they might be better than falling red x's...
I really wasn't that brave. It was a mix of contrarily wanting to show Mike's dad that he couldn't gross me out, and being EXHAUSTED. But I DID go back to that restaurant the following night and ate tripe once again. Huh.

Annegirl said...

You did go back? haha!

Free Blog Template by June Lily