When we moved in, we discovered that for some reason both of the drains in our 2 bathrooms are broken. Instead of a nice handle so you can pull the drain up and down, there are gaping holes. I can put the drain back in when I put my contacts in, etc. and we have a nifty purple magnet on it so I can pull it out again easily. We thought we had solved the problem nicely.
Then we remembered how we have a two-year-old. And what is a two-year-old's favorite pass-time of all TIME?!? Dropping things down holes, that's what. Ask my mom. She can still remember. Anyways, my loving husband got far too tired of opening up our sink (they call it the P-trap. I'm learning fast) to remove toothbrushes, buttons, hair bands, more toothbrushes, etc. fixing the drain quickly moved to the NEED side of our renovations list.
You can fix the drains just fine by themselves and it would have been nice n' cheap but kind of a pain. Soooo we figured (with a little help from the decorator in our family) that while we were opening things up and going through the annoyance, we might as well replace the whole darn faucet. Because the ones we have are...very not my style. Two-toned chrome and brass little suckers with two handles a piece. I'm personally a fan of one handle-ers in a more subtle finish--oil rubbed bronze or brushed nickel for instance. Something like this in fact:
HA Ha! isn't this one of the most delightful faucets you have ever seen In Your LIFE?!? I enjoy the subtle funki-vintage-antique-ness. So we went to Lowe's bought ourselves two of these and headed home to try and install our newest treasures. Dark day in my household. Turns out
1) sink faucets are kind of hard to remove sometimes.
2) wives aren't the best people to ask which ways to turn things to unscrew them (righty tighty, leftie loosie, right?)
3) what you didn't notice (and we didn't either) is that the puller-handle for the drain goes in to the sink at a slant. Which equals you need a little extra room in the back and quite a bit of room where the sink dips down in the back. As in, you don't want t sink with a completely vertical back--like the one we have.
4) this gorgeous faucet won't work in my bathrooms.
So nooow we have a few holes in our sink that aren't very helpful when I always forget I can't wash my hands in there and only remember after I've gone potty... sigh.
Luckily I talked Mike into doing the laundry room faucet first, just in case it tok longer than we thought it would* or something went wrong.*
Back to Lowe's we go!!!
*It did.

7 Comments:
How frustrating! We're going through a similar situation with our bathroom door. The joys of being a home owner right? :) Love you!
That faucet IS fabulous! My heart is sad for you. :( It makes me think of an old-fashioned water pump--you know, like you'd have to pump the lever up and down to get the water out? Love it. But I'm sure you'll find something else that is equally fabulous!
I'm with Lauren: so sad! But, on the plus side, I am proud of your fix-it ambitions and skills!!
Does your two-year-old appreciate the extra holes in the sink? tee hee hee
I also have a two year old... I'm not letting him read this post. He doesn't need any more ideas. His current favorite are the vents- off pops the vent cover and vwala! its' a giant hole to throw things down. Good job working on the sink!
PS Where do you live now anyhow?
Christy (Robinson) Elder
I wonder if I hit reply if this will still get to you....
Found you through a blog, through a blog, through a blog. Amanda, Emily, You I think. I was just trying to catch up on what people I used to know are doing.
We live just north of Downtown. You should come up! We bought a house about a year ago and are also doing projects. Fun, fun. (Actually, it is!) How do I get a hold of you? Email me! christy.elder@gmail.com
Dearest Adriane--
I nominated you for the beautiful blogger award. :) The details are on my blog!
Love, Me
I just checked your blog through Jena. Sounds like life is pretty swell for you guys these days! Well, except the whole faucet thing. Send me your email and I'll invite you to my blog if you want. Good to catch up with you!
erikasblog@hotmail.com
Post a Comment